The automotive industry is a highly complex and technologically advanced field that requires specialized software tools for design, development, and production.
Automotive engineers use various software programs to assist them in their work, including computer-aided design (CAD) software, simulation tools, and prototype design software.
In this article, we will take a look at the top software tools used by automotive engineers to help them in their job.
Software for Automotive Requirements Management
Requirements management is the basis of all major automotive engineering projects and having a grip on requirements early on is the best way to ensure satisfying customer and stakeholder needs at the end of the project.
Here are some of the world’s leading requirements management software for automotive engineers:
Valispace is a web-based platform for collaborative engineering. It allows engineers to manage and share requirements, designs, and test data in a centralized and secure environment. It is particularly useful for managing complex systems such as those in automotive, robotics and automation.
It can integrate well with lots of tools (including MATLAB and Onshape) due to its open Rest API, meaning it can be a suitable home for precious automotive engineering data.
- Benefit: Valispace enables teams to collaborate efficiently and effectively, reducing errors and improving the overall quality of the engineering process.
- Limitation: It is a web-based software, which may not be suitable for teams that work in areas with low internet connectivity. Additionally, it may not have the same level of 3D modeling and simulation capabilities as specialized CAD software.
Try Valispace’s new AI ValiAssistant for requirements engineering
DOORS is a widely used requirements management tool in the automotive industry. It allows users to trace, analyze, and manage requirements throughout the development process.
- Benefit: It enables users to perform impact analysis, which helps identify the changes that need to be made when requirements change.
- Limitation: It can be complex to set up and use, and requires a certain level of technical expertise.
Jama Software is a web-based requirements management tool that allows users to collaborate on requirements in real-time.
- Benefit: It allows users to manage requirements in a centralized location and has a user-friendly interface.
- Limitation: It can be expensive for small teams and does not have a built-in simulation capability.
Software for Simulation in Automotive Engineering
Another primary tool automotive engineers use to test and assess the performance of aircraft and automotive systems is simulation software. NX, Solid Edge, and PTC Creo are primary simulation software tools in the automotive sector. These software solutions enable engineers to undertake virtual testing on their designs, identifying and correcting any possible issues before the aircraft is built.
Here are some of the automotive and defense industries’ most well loved simulation software
COMSOL Multiphysics is a simulation software that can be used to model a wide range of physics-based problems. It is particularly useful for simulating systems that involve multiple physics, including structural mechanics, heat transfer, and fluid dynamics.
- Benefit: It can simulate a wide range of physics-based problems in a single platform.
- Limitation: It is a complex software and may have a steep learning curve for new users.
ANSYS is a simulation software that provides a wide range of tools for performing various types of simulations, such as finite element analysis, fluid dynamics, and electromagnetic simulations. It is widely used in the vehicle industry for simulating and analyzing the performance of automotive systems and components.
- Benefit: ANSYS is a powerful simulation software that can handle a wide range of physics-based problems, providing accurate results and insight into the performance of automotive systems.
- Limitation: It can be a complex software and may have a steep learning curve for new users. Additionally, it is a proprietary software and can be expensive to acquire and maintain.
Prototype Design and 3D Modeling Software
Aircraft design software is created primarily for automotive engineers to use in the design and development of aircraft. SharkCAD Pro, Design Tools, and Vehicle Sketch Pad are prominent aviation design software tools.
The top design software used by Automotive engineers are:
CATIA is a 3D CAD software used for designing and engineering automotive components and systems. It is developed by Dassault Systèmes and widely used in the automotive industry for conceptual design, detailed design, and analysis of aircraft and spacecraft.
- Benefit: CATIA provides a wide range of powerful tools for design and engineering, including 3D modeling, analysis, and simulation
- Limitation: It is a proprietary software and can be expensive to acquire and maintain.
SolidWorks is a 3D CAD software that is widely used for designing and engineering automotive components and systems.
It offers a wide range of tools for 3D modeling, analysis, and simulation, and is particularly useful for designing sheet metal parts and assemblies.
- Benefit: SolidWorks is user-friendly and easy to learn, which makes it suitable for small- to medium-sized aerospace companies.
- Limitation: It may not have all the advanced features that larger aerospace companies require.
Siemens NX is a 3D CAD software that is widely used in the automotive industry for design and engineering of automotive components and systems. It offers a wide range of tools for 3D modeling, analysis, and simulation and is particularly useful for analyzing and optimizing the performance of automotive systems.
- Benefit: Siemens NX is a powerful software that can handle complex design and engineering tasks, making it suitable for large automotive companies.
- Limitation: It can be expensive to acquire and maintain and may have a steep learning curve for new users.
Additive Manufacturing and 3D Printing
3D printing and additive manufacturing are becoming increasingly essential in the automotive sector because they enable engineers to generate physical models of their ideas rapidly and efficiently. These technologies allow speedier prototyping and testing and the creation of end-use parts. Many CAD software systems, including CATIA, Inventor, and Autodesk, now support 3D printing.
Here’s some software solutions that automotive engineers use to to additive manufacturing.
Stratasys is a leading manufacturer of 3D printing systems and materials for automotive industry. It offers a range of 3D printing systems for prototyping and small-scale production of automotive components, including FDM and PolyJet systems.
- Benefit: Stratasys 3D printing systems can produce automotive parts with complex geometries and high-resolution details.
- Limitation: 3D printing materials and systems can be expensive, and the technology may not be suitable for large-scale production.
Ultimaker Cura is a free, open-source 3D printing slicing software that can be used to prepare 3D models for printing. It is compatible with most 3D printers and can be used to customize and optimize the settings for the 3D printing process.
- Benefit: Ultimaker Cura is a powerful, yet simple, slicing software that can be used to prepare 3D models for printing with a wide range of 3D printers.
- Limitation: It is not a CAD software and can only be used to prepare 3D models for printing, not to create or edit 3D models.
Manufacturing Process Software
Automotive engineers also use specialized software for managing and optimizing the manufacturing process. These software solutions, such as Siemens NX, provide tools for design for manufacturing (DFM), computer-aided manufacturing (CAM), and computer-aided process planning (CAPP). These software solutions help engineers to streamline the manufacturing process, reducing costs and improving efficiency.
Valispace’s Role in the Automotive Industry
Valispace is revolutionizing the automotive industry by providing an innovative and comprehensive platform for engineering teams to work collaboratively on vehicle components.
The platform allows multiple users from different locations to simultaneously modify a single design, making it easier for automotive engineers to quickly adjust their designs and achieve accurate results.
Furthermore, Valispace’s advanced project management tools enable teams to easily track progress and make sure all tasks are completed on time. Additionally, the platform provides real-time simulation functionality for testing and validating designs before implementation.
This allows automotive engineers to reduce risks and costs associated with design changes while ensuring that high-quality vehicles are delivered on time. By providing these powerful features, Valispace is helping the automotive industry become more efficient and successful in the future.
Book a call with our experts to discover more!